Institute of Experimental Cardiology
The Director of the Institute – Professor Yelena Parfyonova, MD, PhD, DSc in Cardiology and Biochemistry
The Institute of Experimental Cardiology of National Medical Research Center of Cardiology, Russian Ministry of Health was established in 1981 on the basis of the Department of Myocardial Metabolism, established in 1973 in the Research Institute of Cardiology named after A.L. Myasnikov.
Currently, the Institute of Experimental Cardiology of National Medical Research Center of Cardiology is a leading research organization for studying the mechanisms of development of cardiovascular diseases and the development of new methods for their diagnosis and treatment.
Scientific research is focused on the studies of:
- Biology of the vascular wall and the role of its cellular and molecular components in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis;
- Physiology of cardiovascular system in health and disease;
- Physiological aspects of creating new cardiotropic drugs;
- Biological mechanisms of cell proliferation, differentiation and regulation of their functions in the vascular wall and the heart;
- Development of the methods of molecular genetics and biotechnology.
Different highly qualified specialists, biochemists, molecular biologists, physiologists, cytologists, immunologists, molecular geneticists, specialists in genetic engineering, pharmacologists, biotechnologists, chemists, physicists, and programmers, work in the Institute.
According to the Science Citation Index, the Institute of Experimental Cardiology in terms of the level of scientific products, citation index, and the priority of the research carried out is among the top ten organizations in the country.